Aquaria Phuket, Thailand’s newest and biggest aquarium opened in Phuket Island just last month (August, 2019). It’s located at Central Phuket Floresta shopping mall. This state of the art aquarium surprisingly incorporated a submarine wreckage from World War II called the USS Lagarto. A Submarine in the Newest and Biggest Aquarium in Thailand? How cool is that!
Watch this short video to see the USS Lagarto inside Aquaria Phuket. Enjoy!
USS Lagarto (SS-371), a Balao-class submarine, was a US Navy submarine named after a lizardfish. Its wreck found in 2005 was missing a starboard torpedo, suggesting it went down fighting.
I must say, the USS Lagarto definitely adds drama in that aquarium. Watching fishes swim around it coupled with the ambient sound of a submarine certainly gives an eerie feel. The concept is new (well at least on this part of the world). It is interesting. And it’s something educational. A great springboard to discuss a piece of history to children.
Kids and adults alike were awed by the huge structure inside the aquarium. It is something to marvel at.
What we really appreciate!
- Submarine wreckage. For us this is the main attraction of Aquaria Phuket. Whoever thought of this must be a genius. We love the idea. It’s refreshing, certainly different from the other aquariums we’ve gone to.
- Great Edu-tainment. Coming to any aquarium for that matter is certainly educational. But having this piece of history right in front of your eyes, gets into your emotions. And it actually gets you thinking of its history. Kids would start asking the whats, whys, and the hows.
- Basic information. Around the area are basic information about the displays and the sea animals in the tank. Plus additional information about the environment.
Aquaria Phuket also houses the biggest underwater restaurant in Asia, the Andasi Lounge and Restaurant. It is located right in front of the biggest tank, so you’d have a great view of the aquarium while enjoying a meal or snack.
You Might Also Like
- Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel ReviewAccommodation: Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel Location: 10 Chaloemphrakiat Riad, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand. ☎ […]
- Kids Fed the Fishes in Aquaria Phuket: Exploring the Largest Aquarium in ThailandThe new Aquaria Phuket is now the largest aquarium in Thailand, as advertised. It is […]
- A Submarine in the Newest and Biggest Aquarium in ThailandAquaria Phuket, Thailand’s newest and biggest aquarium opened in Phuket Island just last month (August, […]
37 thoughts on “A Submarine in the Newest and Biggest Aquarium in Thailand”
Just visited the aquarium. Watched sharks, rays, and many other fish being fed in the pool with the “submarine.” I asked a staff member, and he confirmed that the submarine was a replica and the USS Lagarto is still in the Gulf of Thailand. A fun concept still though.
really?? Oh I’m a bit disappointed. Well thinking about it, I don’t think the government would simply allow that. It’s a historical piece. Anyway, it still is a great concept, and we had fun. Thanks for dropping by.
Sounds so interesting. Need to have a visit and see…
Oh my gosh! My kids would be happy to try this experience! Would make a mental note of this for when we visit Thailand.
No way, this is crazy cool! I have to visit!
Interesting to have the submarine in the aquarium! I’m sure it’s a hit for kids
Just amazing ! I would like to be there!
Having a submarine in an aquarium is so cool. I’m sure the marine life love it as much as the visitors to the aquarium.
Looks like a fun place to spend time with kids.
Wow, that’s something new to look forward too!! I’ll definitely have this on my travel checklist when I go to Thailand!
Submarine in an aquarium. That’s cool. Fun for the kids and adults too.
That’s very cool! Seeing a submarine in person gives you a new respect for folks in the Navy.
Wow! This is so cool! I love going to the aquarium and it’s such a plus when there are interesting features, including a restaurant!
so true… what a way to eat right?
Its look Awesome and cool wow!
That is so cool! Our mall has an indoor aquarium too, but not with a sub in it!
Great place to take kids!
I had the opportunity to board a submarine back in the late 70s. Incredible experience!
This will be a perfect family getaway. My kids will surely love all these underwater life.
I’ve always enjoyed aquariums. I’ve never been to one that’s had a submarine before.
Wow! Watching the video, this looks sooo cool!
I’ve never seen a submarine in an aquarium before; that’s pretty cool! I would enjoy the restaurant as well as I love to watch fish while eating, and being surrounded is fun!
The Andasi lounge and restaurant is one restaurant to look forward to.
Wow looks like so much fun I would love to be in a submarine. So nice for the entire family space.
Aquaria Phuket Sounds like so much fun for kids and adults! I love seeing all the underwater life!
This one is very informative. Thanks for sharing them here.
looks very interesting, will keep it in mind next time we visit ! thanks for sharing!
– The handy journal-
Woah I’ve never been on a submarine before, looks so cool! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
This looks so cool, my son would really love it. If we ever make it to Thailand we will definitely visit.
that’s be cool
I have never been on a submarine. This would be so cool to check out.
Thanks. If you happen to visit Phuket Thailand, this would be a great place to go.
Among the most beautiful and incredible aquatic experiences I’ve seen. Ilove the sea!