Punctuation is the system of signs or symbols given to a reader to show how a sentence is constructed and how it should be read. It sets the intonation of how a reader should read the text. It tells readers if they need to read a sentence with a rising or falling tone, if it needs a neutral tone, or how long you need to pause and when to pause.
HERE ARE BASIC PUNCTUATIONS AND WHEN TO USE THEM
Test Your Knowledge: Identify the punctuation mark(s) and how it is being used in the sentence.
- It’s a lovely day, isn’t it?
- “Yes, it is. It’s a great time to go to the beach.” I replied.
- “Great idea! I’ll prepare the snacks, drinks, sunscreen lotion, and bathing suits.” said Anna.
- The beach is packed with sunbathers.
- There seems to have no space for them.