Aquaria Phuket, Thailand’s newest and biggest aquarium opened in Phuket Island just last month (August, 2019). It’s located at Central Phuket Floresta shopping mall. This state of the art aquarium surprisingly incorporated a submarine wreckage from World War II called the USS Lagarto. A Submarine in the Newest and Biggest Aquarium in Thailand? How cool is that!
Watch this short video to see the USS Lagarto inside Aquaria Phuket. Enjoy!
USS Lagarto (SS-371), a Balao-class submarine, was a US Navy submarine named after a lizardfish. Its wreck found in 2005 was missing a starboard torpedo, suggesting it went down fighting.
I must say, the USS Lagarto definitely adds drama in that aquarium. Watching fishes swim around it coupled with the ambient sound of a submarine certainly gives an eerie feel. The concept is new (well at least on this part of the world). It is interesting. And it’s something educational. A great springboard to discuss a piece of history to children.
Kids and adults alike were awed by the huge structure inside the aquarium. It is something to marvel at.
What we really appreciate!
- Submarine wreckage. For us this is the main attraction of Aquaria Phuket. Whoever thought of this must be a genius. We love the idea. It’s refreshing, certainly different from the other aquariums we’ve gone to.
- Great Edu-tainment. Coming to any aquarium for that matter is certainly educational. But having this piece of history right in front of your eyes, gets into your emotions. And it actually gets you thinking of its history. Kids would start asking the whats, whys, and the hows.
- Basic information. Around the area are basic information about the displays and the sea animals in the tank. Plus additional information about the environment.
Aquaria Phuket also houses the biggest underwater restaurant in Asia, the Andasi Lounge and Restaurant. It is located right in front of the biggest tank, so you’d have a great view of the aquarium while enjoying a meal or snack.
You Might Also Like
- Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel ReviewAccommodation: Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel Location: 10 Chaloemphrakiat Riad, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand. ☎ […]
- Kids Fed the Fishes in Aquaria Phuket: Exploring the Largest Aquarium in ThailandThe new Aquaria Phuket is now the largest aquarium in Thailand, as advertised. It is […]
- A Submarine in the Newest and Biggest Aquarium in ThailandAquaria Phuket, Thailand’s newest and biggest aquarium opened in Phuket Island just last month (August, […]