We’re all in agreement when it comes to the simple fact that puppies are adorable. But plenty of people think that and still don’t prepare themselves for the responsibilities of being a dog owner. It’s so important that you actually understand the demands of looking after a puppy. They’re incredibly cute, and there are plenty of rewards that come with owning a dog, but you have to play your part. Much like having a baby, hard work is required. A dog isn’t just for Christmas, but the advice in this article might help you to start understanding the responsibilities of life with a puppy.
Learn about their needs.
First of all, you need to do your research. If there’s a certain breed of dog you want then find out everything you need to know about that specific type of dog. Different breeds have different needs; that little rhyme should stick in your mind. We’ll talk about this more in the following point, but even the type of food your dog needs to eat will depend on their size, breed, and the type of lifestyle they’ll lead. You need to learn about your dog’s needs before you buy them. If you’ve already got your eyes on a specific puppy then it’s important to learn about their history from the owner or the breeder. This is particularly important for rescue dogs; they might require more training if they’ve suffered physical or emotional abuse.
Whatever their history, of course, your puppy or grown dog is going to need some time to adjust to their new surroundings. They won’t immediately see your home as their home, and that’s because the environment is foreign to them. Make sure you reinforce positive behaviour, but do so in a positive way. Training a dog can be hard, but you mustn’t get annoyed at your puppy whilst they’re still learning; it’s all about understanding why they’re making certain sounds or doing certain things. Again, it’s very similar to understanding a baby when they’re crying. Make sure you prepare yourself before getting your dog. You need to know what to expect; learn about their needs, and learn about what those initial months will be like for your dog.
Stock up on supplies.
As mentioned briefly in the previous point, different dogs have different needs in terms of the food they need. When you stock up on supplies before getting a new puppy, it’s important that you do your research in terms of the things they’ll actually need. This ties into the previous point, but we’re talking about more than training your dog here; we’re talking about providing them with a suitable bed, suitable food, and even a suitable leash. You might want to check out pet supply plus for cheap dog supplies. They have a wide range of options, so you’ll find the things that suit your situation. To reiterate, the important thing is that you do your research.
Make time for your dog.
Finally, the most important piece of advice to take on board is to simple make time for your dog. You can’t be in the house 24/7, but you should make sure they’re being watched by someone 24/7 whilst they’re a puppy. Again, this is much the same as watching a growing baby constantly. You might want to hire a dogsitter whilst you’re out at work. But when you or anyone else in your family is home, you need to make time for your puppy. Showering them with love and attention is essential to their mental wellbeing. That’s the most crucial thing to remember if you want to become a dog owner.
You Might Also Like
- Snorkeling in Ao Nang Krabi: Reminiscing it this CoVid-19 PandemicIt was 2019 just a few months before the news of CoViD-19 broke when we […]
- Asian Cultural Village: Sadao Thailand/ Dannok MalaysiaAsian Cultural Village is conveniently located in Sadao, Thailand/ Dannok Malaysia. This huge and amazing […]
- Chairball a Popular Game in ThailandFor someone who’s into basketball and maybe a bit of football, chairball sounds, well, odd […]
- Watching “Avengers:Endgame” without Bathroom Break: Tips for ParentsWe did it! Props to my 7-year-old son for surviving the Avengers: Endgame. We’ve watched […]
- When Do You Know Your Family Is Complete?When we grow up we all dream about living in the perfect home, and having […]
- Parents on a Budget Ideas: Check Out This ListI’m not offering solutions on spreadsheets or ultimate budgeting tips to solve your financial woes. […]