Lesson 2 Getting to Know You
ACTIVITY #1. Answer these questions with your partner.
- Take a look at your conversation e-book, name the different ways of introducing yourself? Introducing other people?
- What is SMALL TALK?
- What are topics you should not talk about during small talk?
- What are good topics to talk about during small talk?
ACTIVITY #2. Do this activity with your partner.
- Look at conversation samples 1 and 2. Label the parts of the conversation according to the basic conversation structure above.
- Write and act out a conversation between two people meeting for the first time at a conference.
- follow the basic conversation structure – kickstart, body, leave taking, goodbye.
- small talk topics – nationality, home, occupation, workplace, and the reason why they come to a conference
Lesson 3: Request, Permission, Offer
- Making a request (การร้องขอ)
- Asking for permission (ขออนุญาติ)
- Offering help (ให้ความช่วยเหลือ)
- Familiarize the common expressions used for making a request, asking permission, and offering help.
- Practice using the expressions – Go to MAKING A REQUEST PRACTICE and ASKING PERMISSION PRACTICE.
- Complete the conversation exercises below.
- Write and act out a conversation involving making a request, asking permission, and/or offering help. (Be mindful of the structure of your conversation)
Making a Request
CONVERSATION EXERCISES – 1
Somchai: Good morning, Madam. ________(1 offer help)____________?
Nattawadee: Good morning. __________(2 permission)__________________?
Somchai: I’m sorry, he’s out of the office at the moment.
Nattawadee: Oh, well, never mind.
Somchai: _____________(3 offer help)_______________________ for you tomorrow?
Nattawadee: Oh, yes please. For 10 AM.
Somchai: Just a minute… _____(4 decline)_____________ he has another meeting at 10 AM. Will three in the afternoon be all right with you?
Nattawadee: No, thank you. I’ll meet him at his residence tonight. It’s something urgent.
Somchai: ________(5 offer help)________________ him anything?
Nattawadee: Thanks. You could tell him that Ms. Nattawadee was here.
Somchai: I will tell him.
Nattawadee: Thank you.
CONVERSATION EXERCISES – 2
Tom: Hey Jerry, going somewhere?
Jerry: Yes. I need to pick up the new guests at the airport.
Tom: ______(1 offer help)___________________?
Jerry: That would be great! It can be pretty lonely driving alone you know.
Tom: I certainly know that. Ok, ______( 2 permission)______ quickly grab my bag.
Jerry: Ok. Oh by the way I forgot to bring my wallet. ___(3 request)___________ bringing it. It’s on my table next to the computer.
Tom: Sure thing!
Jerry: I’ll wait for you in the car.
CONVERSATION EXERCISES – 3
Follow the conversation in the video. Fill in the missing conversation lines.
Complaining, Clarifying, Apologizing, and Thanking
- Go over your e-book, unit 4.
- Define the following complain, clarify, apologize, and thank.
- List down words and phrases used for making complaints, asking for clarification, apologizing, and thanking.
- Use 2 to 3 of these expressions in a sentence. Share your sentences with your seatmate.
- Complete the conversation in the video below. Practice and present your conversation with the customer service agent.